Your third eye, also known as your Ajna chakra or pineal gland, is your gateway to the divine realm.
When your third eye is open, you’ll experience clear insight, open-mindedness, intellectual balance, and a strong connection to your intuition or inner wisdom.
However, if your third eye is blocked or constricted, you’ll struggle with narrow-mindedness, overthinking, insomnia, suffocating beliefs, lack of purpose, depression, and an inability to connect with your Soul.
If you want to feel connected to your inner purpose and Soul’s voice, one of the best ways to do that is by learning how to open your third eye.
Awakening Your Extrasensory Gifts
When most people hear the word “extrasensory” they envision psychics with crystal balls predicting the future. But I’m not referring to this highly stereotypical image when talking about extrasensory gifts.
Instead, I define extrasensory gifts as the capacity to receive information beyond the normal five senses of the body.
As we know already, the body is simply a vessel for Spirit; a way in which we can perceive and interpret the physical realm. But it is naive to conclude that the physical realm is all that exists as studies such as quantum physics and countless spiritual traditions have taught through the ages.
Extrasensory gifts are inherent capacities we have for “tuning into” other planes of existence, but most vitally, our own Souls. And we all have different capacities.
For example, I have the gift of clairaudience (clear hearing), clairsentience (clear feeling) and claircognizance (clear knowing) but not clairvoyance (clear seeing).
Here are the potential gifts you can open up to when you learn how to open your third eye:
- Clairvoyance (clear seeing)
- Claircognizance (clear knowing)
- Clairaudience (clear hearing)
- Clairempathy (clear feeling)
- Clairtangency (clear knowing through touch)
- Clairsentience (clear knowing through feeling)
And there are a few others such as clairgustance (regarding taste) and clairsalience (regarding smell).
The most important thing is not in brandishing around a new label for yourself, but the deep enrichment these gifts can give your life and your ability to connect with, and understand, your Soul’s wisdom.
How to Open Your Third Eye
Almost all of us are born into situations that encourage our third eyes to close tightly. Since childhood, we were taught a variety of societal, parental, religious ideas and dogmatic constructs that cause us to become alienated from our inner wisdom.
Most notably, we were encouraged to conform, obey the rules, and ignore our inner voice, which in some cases was even demonized.
If you’re struggling to see life with clarity and feel confused most of the time, you’re likely weighed down with years of conditioning which taught you to think and behave in a certain way.
I know firsthand how disheartening and distressing a closed third eye feels, and how it makes you susceptible to being led astray.
Here are my top tips for learning how to open your third eye:
- Move outside your comfort zone and explore alternative beliefs and ideas. Closed third eyes thrive on narrow-mindedness. One of the best ways to open your mind is to be intellectually curious.
- Limit and preferably completely cut out processed foods. Our bodies were not designed to digest the copious amounts of fat, processed carbohydrates, and sugars that are present in convenience and fast foods. You’ll also benefit from significantly reducing your consumption of animal meats due to the hormones present in them.
- Eat whole foods, vegetables, and fruits. Replace the packeted foods you buy with whole foods such as legumes, nuts, whole grains, veggies, and fruits. Not only do these leave you feeling fuller, but they are healthier for your body and easier for it to digest. Your diet is important because it directly influences your energy levels, hormones, and therefore feelings and thoughts.
- Drink third eye cleansing herbs. Herbs are a potent way to recalibrate your third eye. Try herbal teas that contain gotu kola, ginkgo biloba, rosemary, and passionflower. I recommend checking out Buddha Teas amazing third eye Chakra Tea that is infused with the essence of sapphire.
- Practice meditation. Instead of trying to control your thoughts and postures during meditation practice (like most people do), simply try to observe what your mind and body does. The more aware you become of your thoughts, the more a space within you opens.
- Ground yourself through mindfulness. A major symptom of a dysfunctional third eye is overthinking. The best way to ground yourself in the present moment is through a practice known as mindfulness. Read more about mindfulness.
- Avoid fluoridated water and toothpaste. Studies have shown that fluoride, the chemical present in our drinking water and toothpaste, is responsible for calcifying the pineal gland. When your pineal gland becomes calcified, it ceases to work well. In fact, after an MRI scan, I discovered that my frontal lobe is actually partially calcified. Read more about decalcifying the pineal gland.
- Flood your body with antioxidants. Antioxidants are the superheroes of the food world and are present in superfoods such as blueberries, goji berries, quinoa, maca, cacao, spirulina, coconuts, and many other fruits and veggies. Antioxidants detoxify and strengthen your body, which is perfect for learning how to open your third eye.
- Explore your core beliefs. Your core beliefs are unconscious ideas you have about who you are and what you deserve in life. Core beliefs keep you locked in restricting mindsets that keep your third eye closed. Learn how to identify your core beliefs.
- Exercise and drink lots of water. This is quite self-explanatory! Drinking water will also help to flush out the toxins in your body and hydrate your brain. (Just try to avoid fluoridated water!)
- Journal and record your feelings. One of the best ways to create clarity and inner order is through writing down how you feel. Do this daily and you’ll experience many psycho-spiritual benefits.
- Hum or chant the sound “OM.” Om is said to be the very first primordial sound of the universe, and carries powerful vibrations that recharge, cleanse, and open your third eye.
- Try creating more blood and energy flow through yoga practice. In particular, explore the balasana, shavasana, and dolphin pose.
- Explore the ancient practice of scrying. Scrying is an esoteric practice that helps you to develop your inner vision. Read more about scrying.
- Use sound healing. Sound carries profoundly healing vibrations. You can experiment with instruments such as singing bowls, tuning forks, chimes, and bells. All of these instruments energetically harmonize your third eye. Read more about sound healing instruments.
- Do a third eye visualization. Relax, breathe deeply, and imagine a pulsing ball of purple light opening and clearing your third eye. Do this every day for five minutes and pay attention to the way you feel afterward.
- Explore your cognitive distortions. We all possess cognitive distortions or mistaken beliefs, and they constrict the flow of energy through our third eye chakra. One of the best ways to explore your cognitive distortions is by journaling about them. Learn about the most common mental traps.
- Experiment with NLP. NLP or Neuro-linguistic programming helps your mind to move past limiting beliefs and even phobias that cause third eye blindness.
- Practice mindfulness. Your third eye is the most open when it is grounded in the present moment. Mindfulness is a practice that can help you connect with the beauty of the here and now.
- Use crystals. Experiment with crystals such as lapis lazuli, labradorite, sapphire, and kyanite. Use these crystals in meditation, visualizations, place them directly on your third eye, or carry them with you!
- Support yourself through affirmations. Whatever you think is what you end up manifesting. Try to alter the way you think and therefore stimulate third eye opening by trying affirmations such as “I listen to my inner wisdom,” “I see with clarity,” “I trust my intuition,” “I trust in my abilities.”
You’ll also benefit from sunshine, solitude, and daily pockets of silence in your day.
What Will Happen When My Third Eye Opens?
Once you’ve learned how to open your third eye, you might be wondering what the signs or symptoms are. What should you expect?
Obviously, the experience varies from person to person. But here are some of the most common signs that may happen slowly or spontaneously:
- Buzzing or tingling in your forehead
- More headaches or migraines than usual (your third eye is adjusting to the world)
- Visions or extrasensory experiences during meditation
- Sudden clarity surrounding life issues
- Mystical experiences
- Strong connection to intuition and inner-knowing
- Enhanced ability to think for yourself
There are many other symptoms, but these are the main ones to look out for.
Learning how to open your third eye takes dedication and the willingness to dig deep and make a few changes in your life. But the effort you put in is well worth it, and the gift of clarity will bless your entire life for years to come.
Have you ever experienced a third eye awakening? I’d love to hear your stories below!
Please note that this article has affiliate links. If you decide to purchase anything we link to, we get a small percentage to help with our work. Thanks!