Like everything else in life, we are energetic beings.
All minerals, plants, animals, liquids and objects are products of an endless array of cells which emit energy. And what is within each cell? Protons, neutrons and electrons, which are all composed of sub-atomic particles which are pure energy.
Therefore, everything we see in this universe is at its root energy that evolves, changes and flows. That includes us as human beings. For this reason, it is not too far-fetched to think that within our own bodies we have areas that possess more condensed energy than others.
When the energy within our bodies is too imbalanced due to bad habits, stress, unacknowledged feelings and thought patterns, we get sick and we suffer – it’s as simple as that.
This is where the importance of chakra balancing comes into play. In traditional Indian thought our bodies possess seven different energy centers that are subject to blockages according to our lifestyle habits. When our energy centers are blocked or misaligned we feel heavy, ill and emotionally imbalanced.
In fact, if you’ve come to this article chances are that you are unconsciously attracted to “cleaning” or emptying an energy blockage within your body which is preventing you from living a centered life.
The Importance of Chakra Balancing in Everyday Life
Whether you like using the word “chakra” or perhaps “meridians” or “energy centers,” it is undeniable that we are all electric beings by nature. Simply dragging your feet across a carpet and then touching something metal will show you that.
But don’t worry: learning how to balance your chakras is by no means some kind of “esoteric” or complicated art. It simply requires sensitivity, introspection and a dedication to your well-being; all of which I can help you within this article.
Simply reading through each energy center below will help you to determine which of the seven chakras within you are the most “stuffy” and imbalanced. You can then read the accompanying forms of chakra balancing techniques specific to each energy center.
1. Root Chakra
Sitting at the very base of your spine (or tailbone), the root chakra is responsible for the following feelings and sensations:
If balanced, you will feel grounded, safe, secure and stable in your life.
If imbalanced, you will feel disconnected from yourself and other people and worried about basic needs (money, food, shelter).
Physically you might be suffering from eating disorders (obesity, anorexia, bulimia), arthritis, cold hands and feet, leg and feet problems, and digestive problems.
What you can do:
- Connect with the energy of the earth.
- Go for regular walks, strolls or jogs.
- Walk with bare feet on a patch of grass.
- Sit underneath a tree with your back to the trunk.
- Get enough vitamin D by spending time in the sun each day.
- Eat root foods that have had direct contact with the earth such as ginger, carrots, potatoes, turnips, radish and beetroot.
- Consciously spend time with other people. Put down your phone, laptop, book or other distraction and allow yourself to experience the joy of being with another human being.
- Explore your core wound and the impact this has on your daily life.
- Wear red colors.
- Visualize a red stream of light extending from your legs and feet deep into the earth.
- Aromatherapy scent: Rosemary, Cedar, Ginger, Sandalwood and Cloves.
- Power stone: Jasper, Carnelian, Obsidian, Bloodstone, Smokey Quartz.
2. Sacral Chakra
Located just below your bellybutton, the sacral chakra is responsible for the following feelings and sensations:
If balanced, you will feel creative, committed, sexually vibrant and energetic.
If imbalanced, you will feel emotionally repressed, sexually suppressed, energetically lethargic, unimaginative and impotent.
Physically you might be suffering from menstrual problems, lower back pain, kidney dysfunction, urinary problems, ovarian cysts or prostrate issues.
What you can do:
- Sit by a stream of water.
- Make regular time for sexual activity (weekly).
- Brain storm.
- Stretch your lower back through yoga or traditional exercise techniques (i.e. cat stretch, sphinx pose, legs up against the wall, etc.).
- Belly dance or rotate your hips around in a circle.
- Wear orange (the vibration of this color is linked with the sacral chakra).
- Drink a lot of water.
- Eat almonds, melons, strawberries, oranges, coconut and mandarin (said to help sacral chakra issues).
- Aromatherapy scent: Rose, Jasmine, Clary Sage, Ylang Ylang.
- Power stone: Citrine, Amber, Hematite, Red Jasper, Orange Calcite.
3. Solar Plexus Chakra
Located just below the rib cage and just above the navel, the solar plexus chakra is responsible for the following feelings and sensations:
If balanced, you will feel self-loving, compassionate, confident and assertive.
If imbalanced, you will feel critical, judgmental, self-resenting and fearful.
Physically, you might be suffering from high blood pressure, chronic fatigue, diabetes, stomach ulcers, pancreas and gallbladder issues, and weight problems.
What you can do:
- Explore your mental traps.
- Work on breathing properly (i.e. not from your chest, but from your stomach).
- Sit in the sun (fire is the element of the solar plexus chakra).
- Discover your core beliefs.
- Repeat affirmations to yourself daily (e.g. “I radiate love,” “I embrace the person I am”).
- Practice self-care.
- Wear yellow (the vibration of this color is linked with the solar plexus).
- Do something that makes you scared but brings you courage.
- Eat wholegrains, organic yogurt and cheese, and spices such as turmeric, ginger, cumin and fennel.
- Aromatherapy scent: Rosewood, myrrh, frankincense and sandalwood.
- Power stone: Tiger’s eye, citrine, rhodochrosite, yellow tourmaline and malachite.
4. Heart Chakra
Located right in the center of the chest (where the heart is), the heart chakra is responsible for the following feelings and sensations:
If balanced, you will feel love, empathy and compassion for all living beings, you will be able to understand others deeply beyond their words and actions, as well as feeling forgiveness and gratitude.
If imbalanced, you will feel anger, resentment, jealousy, hatred, fear and loneliness.
Physically, you might be suffering from upper back problems, asthma, heart problems, allergies and breast issues.
What you can do:
- Learn to enjoy your solitude.
- Practice the taken-for-granted virtue of gratitude by being thankful for the small things in your life each day.
- Learn to breathe deeply.
- Allow the breeze to sweep through your hair and feel in on your skin (air is the element associated with the heart chakra).
- Look at people in terms of what you love rather than what you hate.
- Express your thankfulness by doing something kind or thoughtful for others.
- Explore different ways of forgiving people who have wronged you (perhaps by learning how to forgive yourself first).
- Wear green (the vibration of this color is associated with the heart chakra).
- Practice the affirmations, “I forgive myself and I forgive others,” “I am loving and I am loved,” “Each day I am blessed.”
- Aromatherapy scent: Lavender, Hyssop, Chamomile, Ylang Ylang and Neroli.
- Power stone: Jade, malachite, emerald, green tourmaline and rose quartz.
5. Throat Chakra
Located right in the center of the throat, the throat chakra is responsible for the following feelings and sensations:
If balanced, you will be able to freely express yourself clearly both verbally and non-verbally. You will also be a good listener who assertively expresses your own truth without repression. Additionally, you might find people seeking you out for advice and moral support.
If imbalanced, you will feel dishonest with yourself and as though you are not living up to your potential. People might consider you “flaky” or “untrustworthy” as you find it hard to speak for yourself. On the other hand, you might be very opinionated, dogmatic and aggressive.
Physically, you might suffer from earaches, sinus infections, thyroid problems, upper back and neck issues, and teeth problems.
What you can do:
- Find an appropriate form of catharsis that allows you to express yourself, e.g. painting, running, writing, singing, dancing, creating, building or even screaming.
- Learn to acknowledge your feelings and experience them without judgement, e.g. if you feel excited, allow yourself to feel 100% excited. If you feel angry, allow yourself to feel 100% angry. No emotion is innately “good” or “bad.”
- Sing a song to yourself or hum.
- Watch a funny movie or stand-up comedy show and laugh.
- Practice assertiveness, or if you are normally aggressive and vocal, practice silently listening to others.
- Actively explore what brings you meaning and fills you with passion in life (you might be an artist, an innovator, a gardener, a nurturer, a scientist, etc.). Find ways of bringing your passion into your everyday life.
- Honestly explore your feelings towards yourself, other people and your current life. What are you holding back and being inauthentic about?
- Wear the color blue (the vibration of this color is associated with the throat chakra).
- Look up at the sky and allow your mind to clear.
- Eat fruits and vegetable with high water content such as watermelon, cucumber, berries and celery.
- Aromatherapy scent: Jasmine, rose, ylang ylang and frankincense.
- Power stone: Sodalite, lapis lazuli, blue lace agate, amazonite and turquoise.
6. Third Eye Chakra
Located in the center of the forehead, the third eye chakra is responsible for the following feelings and sensations:
If balanced, you will feel clear, focused, receptive and insightful.
If imbalanced, you will feel mentally foggy, emotionally unstable, daydreamy and unfocused.
Physically, you might suffer from hormone imbalance, eyestrain, headaches and migraines, insomnia, depression, panic and dizziness.
What you can do:
- Cut out processed food from your diet.
- Eat raw, unprocessed fruit, vegetables, grain and legumes.
- Establish a regular sleep routine and get a minimum of 7 hours sleep.
- Eliminate distractions from your life (e.g. too much television, social commitments, procrastination food, etc.).
- Explore EFT tapping.
- Take natural supplements such as damiana, gingko biloba and l-theanine for enhanced brain function and relaxation.
- Learn to sit silently every day without any form of stimulation (e.g. phone, TV, laptop, book, newspaper). You could formally practice meditation, or simply relax outside in nature.
- Wear the color indigo (the vibration of this color is associated with the third eye chakra).
- Work on sharpening and trusting your intuition.
- Eat nuts, dark chocolate and berries such as blueberries and raspberries.
- Aromatherapy scent: Cypress, patchouli, vetiver, rosemary and juniper.
- Power stone: Amethyst, purple fluorite, clear quartz, blue aventurine and merlinite.
7. Crown Chakra
The crown chakra is located right at the top of the head and is responsible for the following feelings and sensations:
If balanced, you will feel grounded in the present moment, spiritually in-tune with the rest of existence, and you will deeply trust your intuitive wisdom.
If imbalanced, you will feel lost, resentful towards “god,” aimless, depressed and you will suffer from black-and-white thinking. You might also possess a “god complex” in which you believe you’re better than everyone else.
Physically, you might suffer from light-sensitivity, fibromyalgia, existential depression and degenerative diseases.
What you can do:
- Explore spiritual thought from ancient philosophies to modern ideas.
- Immerse yourself in the natural world. Get out of your brick box and into the vibrancy of life.
- Explore your shadow self and the way it impacts your life with someone you trust.
- Ask yourself these 6 vital questions.
- Read into the lives and experiences of various spiritual teachers you respect.
- Learn to separate who “you” are from what you experience. This is known as “witnessing” or “observing” what you think and feel and can be done constantly throughout the day or through formal practices like meditation.
- Wear violet/white (the vibration of these colors are associated with the crown chakra).
- Drink plenty of purifying water and eat clean, unprocessed, natural foods.
- Aromatherapy scent: Gurjum, myrrh, rosewood, cedarwood and jasmine.
- Power stone: Celestite, danburite, blue sapphire, moldavite and peacock ore.
Which form of chakra balancing resonated with you the most? Feel free to share below your discoveries as well as any recommendations you can make regarding healing each of the seven chakras.